Where did you learn about climate change, related topics and resources

Hi @jack going out of discussion, was just curious to ask you one thing. How do you know so much about Climate, from where did you get all this exposure to climate modelling and all.

I know that’s going out of topic and isn’t appropriate for this forum but just wanted to know the motivation behind this project. Even I am a big climate change enthusiast and want to do every possible attempt to save planet EARTH :earth_asia: from climate change hence joined the group and trying to learn everything from basics.

Thanks for replying and sorry for disrupting the flow of technical conversation. New to Forums and their rules.

Hi @BhanujeetC, welcome to the Open Climate Fix forum :slight_smile:

I guess the first thing to say is that I really don’t know that much about climate science or the energy system. There are people on this forum who are far more knowledgeable than I am! The more I learn, the more I realise I don’t know!

For climate science, I learnt a lot from blogs like RealClimate and SkepticalScience, and from the book “Global Warming” by John Houghton, and from the podcast “Radio Ecoshock”, and from the IPCC reports, and from journals like Nature Climate Change.

If I were to pick a single paper which really shocked me, it would be Clark et al., Consequences of twenty-first-century policy for multi-millennial climate and sea-level change, Nature Climate Change, 2016. They predict 50 meter sea level rise within about 1,000 years.

For the energy system, I’d highly recommend “Sustainable Energy - without the hot air” by MacKay (available online for free), and the podcasts The Interchange and The Energy Gang.

Twitter is a great place to discuss energy and climate. Look for the hash tags #energytwitter and #climatetwitter :slight_smile:

Please, everyone, add your go-to resources for energy and climate information!

2 Likes

Nice links @jack

I’d add the mighty Carbon Brief, they do a daily or weekly briefing and really are brilliant, covering a wide range of stuff from hard climate science explainers to policy and interviews.

Climate Home for news, Energy & Climate Intelligence Unit for UK policy.

And I’d agree that Twitter can be good, all of the above can be found discussing issues on Twitter too. I’m sure there are some good lists of climate folk which is the best way to curate your Twitter experience. Writing this has prompted me to make my list public - it’s here - but it’s fun to make your own!

I’ve started putting together a list of resources for learning about climate change news/technology/etc―anyone is welcome to add to or edit it. It’s in very rough form, but in case it’s helpful for anyone, it’s here!

I added all (I think) of the above links to it.